Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Embrace Winter



Winter is upon us. Even as I type snowflakes are falling outside my window. There is just something so completely magical about a snow day! As a kid they were a much-needed break from school. The funny thing is when you get older you realize they were the exact same thing to the teacher. A much needed break from life, a few hours of delay or a day of cancellation from the world.

Winter gets a harsh icy reputation most of the time. With so many people flocking south to avoid it, how could it not? The truth is I absolutely love winter. I love everything about it. The sweaters and coats, my mom’s hand knit mittens and scarves, Starbucks hot apple cider, curling up by a fire I created, the promise of snow…I look forward to it.

The truth is I don’t think I would love summer as much as I do if I didn’t love winter as much as I do. Just like I wouldn’t love the awakening of spring if I didn’t have the falling of autumn. It’s these contrasts that bring new life each and every year. It is a promise of something beautiful to come, the promise of a blessing on the horizon…if you’ll just hold on and wait for it.

The truth remains. No matter how unbelievably frigid life can get there is always a remnant. A remnant that grows and is made stronger, better, more refined into something greater than we can ever imagine.  We must completely Embrace Winter.


Scripture states that there is a time and season for everything. I love this when I am in summer and spring but when it comes to periods of fall and winter…forget it! It can get pretty hard to hold on to the promise of a blessing and beauty to come when I feel like an avalanche is propelling down a mountain right at me! The majority of the time I muster up my own strength and face the avalanche head on…alone. It always, not usually, not sometimes…always…gets me ten feet under and turned completely upside down. 

Embracing doesn’t mean wallow. Embracing doesn’t mean being overcome. Embracing means standing firm and trusting no matter what may come. To trust. Trust. Trust, Beloved. Trust. Embracing Winter equals obedience, faith under ice, taking delight, completely surrendering the “avalanche” into a greater hand than your own, no matter what may come.

The reward is seeing where you’ve been and where you’ve been brought. A man a long time ago stood on a mountain overlooking a great promise, a promise, a land that he never got to live in or experience, but a land that he got to see. Most people find this part of Moses’ journey heart breaking and down right aggravating. You mean to tell me that he did all of that? He was obedient in all those ways and he didn’t even get to go in? What’s with that? I never really saw it that way; ok well maybe at first, but having experienced my own avalanches and my own 40 years so to speak I am beginning to get it more. Moses was able to see a promise fulfilled. He was able to look with his own eyes and see the goodness, the beauty that was before him. He was able to look back over his shoulder and see just where they had been. He was able to look forward and see where they were going. It was a gift, a sweet God’s eye view of it all.

Embracing Winter is about you standing on that mountain and seeing the whole picture even when you are buried depth under ten feet under snow. It’s you trusting that something greater is yet to come; it’s you believing that there is a beautiful plan even if all you see is a blizzard. 

I hope that you make your own mark in your winter seasons. That in times of cold you stand firm and trust. That you create within the snow your own handprints which show just how authentic and glorious you were despite its heavy fall. 



I hope that when unexpected things happen in this out of control world you smile and breathe. You smile, breathe, and remember who is really in control. 


I hope that you can laugh despite its icy touch. Finding experiences and moments of joy in the midst of trials is the hardest but the most healing action you can take. Find joy despite the winter. 



   
I hope that you never forget your mountain. This life is a beautiful journey and adventure through the blizzard of stress, heartache, pain, loss, death, disease... complete and utter avalanches. Never forget the incredible promise of what is to come.

                         






-Authentically Me


No comments:

Post a Comment